Waking Up – Alan Watts
As a preface to understanding, I think it necessary to go through
standard phases of “waking up."
1. An Individual vaguely perceives something is wrong in his/her life.
This takes the form of fatigue at trying to "keep up" with real or imaginary
crisis, encroachment of government into every aspect of life, increasing
taxation and so on. Sometimes it takes the loss of work and the realization
that the safety net they contributed to has a gaping hole in the middle.
2. The individual discovers that justice is a joke and that all control
mechanisms go up like a pyramid, taking their property, taxes etc. with it.
This wealth then is distributed to "help bail-out" or "prop-up" "failing"
transnational corporations. Left-overs are channeled via Overseas
Developement Corporations to "developing nations," where the loot is
pocketed by front-men and their beaurocrats. Crumbs filter down to social
services, which, after being guzzled by directors and staff, leave little for
the needy except bundles of forms, in triplicate, of course.
3. The individual looks around for others already exposing "the
conspiracy." These established champions inform him which "conspiracy"
books to read. Having then done so, the individual begins to "expose" the
corruption, first to friends, then when friendless, he either publishes what
he has gleaned or becomes paranoid and withdraws from society
Why does the waking-up process fail to spread quickly through society?
1. He is terribly naive. He believes the massive corruption "just happened"
to begin in his own lifetime, otherwise mummy or daddy or teacher would
have warned him. It does not occur to him that his Parents, teachers etc.
were as conditioned as he was.
2. Most people do not wish to know. They, like farm animals, have been
domesticated. Wild animals (original) have natural instincts of self-
preservation. They sense the evil intentions of predators and they survive
by trusting their instincts. Wild herds do not "hang around" when one or
more members drops dead. Specially bred sheep do.
3. Pavlovian conditioning/ response indoctrination has been fed to every
individual, through schooling. The media then takes over. Peoples’
opinions are simply sound-bites from news, talk-shows or quotes from
4. Trust replaces the instinct of self-preservation. It over-rides memory
and logic. Controllers and shepherds encourage trust.
5. When threatened with loss of possessions, property, access to health
care, etc., people turn to government (predators) for help, or/and
organized religion. Should an individual persist in pushing for his "rights,"
he will be removed from society and placed in a psychiatric hospital or
prison on any number of pretexts. The alternative is death by "accident,"
or shot by police while 'resisting arrest.'